301 Hospital Drive
Glen Burnie, Maryland 21061
The University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center is a 293 bed hospital located in Glen Burnie, approximately 14 miles outside of Baltimore, Maryland. There are 15 operating suites, including two large, fully integrated rooms designated for percutaneous renal surgery. This hospital is home to over 2,800 employees and 700 physicians.
Some highlights of the 50 years of providing the highest quality health care to the communities served:
- UM BWMC opened on July 4, 1965 and has continuously grown to become one of the largest and best-equipped medical centers in the state.
- Performed Anne Arundel County's first joint replacement surgery in 1975, and continue to be an innovator in joint replacement surgery.
- UM BWMC’s Emergency Department is one of the busiest in Maryland, serving over 104,000 patients a year.
- The first hospital in Maryland to offer the Calypso® 4D Localizing System that uses satellite GPS to zap cancer tumors without damaging the healthy tissue surrounding them.
- In 2008, the hospital completed a $117 million expansion project that enlarged and renovated the emergency department.
- In January 2009, a seven-story patient tower with 111 additional private rooms, and new offices offering outpatient services including the Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center, Outpatient Infusion Center and Sleep Center, was added to the hospital.
- In April 2009, UM BWMC opened BWMC Health Services at Arundel Mills, a multi-specialty office building that brings physicians, specialists and support care to western Anne Arundel County.
- In October 2009, the Robin E. Pascal Women’s Center was opened, bringing obstetric care back to the campus after 41 years.
- In September 2011, UM BWMC completed an 18-month, $31 million surgical suite expansion increasing the number of our operating rooms and expanding our ability to perform more complex surgical cases in neurosurgery, vascular, orthopaedics and robotics.
In addition, UM BWMC is home to many Centers of Excellence, offering expert outpatient health care. These centers include the Aiello Breast Center, Pascal Women's Center, Center for Advanced Fetal Care, Tate Cancer Center, The Vascular Center, Joint Replacement Center, Spine and Neuroscience Center, Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center, UM Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Surgery Center, and Cardiology.
University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center’s long history of excellent patient care has resulted in significant recognition and many awards, including most recently:
- The 2015 Get With the Guidelines Platinum Performance Achievement Award from the American College of Cardiology Foundation’s NCDR ACTION Registry, for commitment and success in treating heart attack patients.
- The 2015 Patient Safety Excellence Award from Healthgrades, for scores related to patient safety measures.
- In March 2015, the Tate Cancer Center received a three-year accreditation by the Commission on Cancer and the American College of Surgeons as an Academic Comprehensive Cancer Program. Only 13% of all cancer programs in the nation have achieved this status.
- The 2015 and 2013 Get With The Guidelines Silver Performance Award from the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Stroke Association (ASA), for reaching aggressive goals in treating stroke patients.
- The 2014 Delmarva Foundation Excellence Award for Quality Improvement, for success in patient safety and quality improvement.
- The 2014 Mission: Lifeline® Gold Plus Receiving Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association, for implementing specific quality improvement measures in the treatment of patients who suffer severe heart attacks.